Monday, April 9, 2012

Spring Cleaning

What is it about spring breezes that awakens the soul?  Why do new blooms inspire such hope?  And why does it all make me want to scrub my floors?

I woke up today and the clutter in my bedroom, though it had been there for weeks (commence judgement now), it started driving me crazy. 

We had an actual spring cleaning day, 3 weeks ago.  I was pregnant, and I wanted our housemate to clean his own room well so that when he moved out and we made his room into a nursery, there wouldn't be as much work for me.  I cleaned, I scrubbed, I disinfected - it was glorious.  Our house got a breath of fresh air.  But since then, I haven't been doing much.  Well, I've been doing a lot of TV-watching, a lot of working, a lot of praying, a lot of sleeping, and a good bit of wine-drinking.

So the house has gotten a bit out of hand.

Little by little, I've been regaining that breath of fresh air, both in our home and in my heart.

As I sweep the floor, I'm letting go of some pain.

As I put away a pile of clothes, I'm reordering my thoughts about our future.

I'm finding parts of the house that never got cleaned, and I'm also finding parts of my heart that are still full of pain, of tears, of fear.  But today, I did a load of laundry.  And tomorrow, I am going to bake.  Our office is still a mess, and there's tax papers all over the coffee table, but I'll get to those.  Sometime soon, perhaps.


5 comments:

  1. cleaning is so therapeutic and life always seems a little easier to manage afterward

    love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baking as therapy is a great plan :) Lovin' you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made the Moist Chocolate Cake from Cake Week & it has so far gotten rave reviews! Had to bring it in to church so I wouldn't eat it all. :)

      Delete
  3. Love the metaphor of cleaning the house vs. cleaning the house. And I totally relate to you- sometimes I come home and just want to totally tackle the house and that's the only thing that makes me feel good.

    Just stumbled upon your blog and really love it. Hope you don't think I'm too big a creeper, but I intend to follow along! :)

    bonnie
    bonnielouisa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think - I love comments!